As shown previously by AstraZeneca in Nature reviews*, one third of the safety failures is linked to CNS (central nervous system) toxicity observed during the clinical trials.
To avoid this attrition, the potential neurotoxicity of new chemical entities should be checked as soon as possible during the drug discovery process
To learn more on these assays, please refer to our posters that have been presented in different congresses:
- Neurotoxicity assay on 2D and 3D culture using High Content Screening (HCS) technology – 2017
- Neurotoxicity assay using High Content Screening technology – 2016
Neurotoxicity assay on SH-SY5Y
Study of compounds toxicity on neurons
This assay can be performed by cell imaging in HCA/HCS on brain cells, including neuronal cell lines like SH-SY5Y. Neurotoxicity assays are performed by treating neuronal cells during at least 48h with the tested compounds.
- Compounds: powder or stock solution
- Cells: differentiated neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cell line
- Plate format: 96 or 384-well plates
Example of Rotenone
Differentiated SH-SY5Y cells were exposed to increasing concentrations of rotenone
Impaired communication between neurons can occur by the loss of neurites at lower doses than neuronal cell death.
Don’t hesitate to ask for our short report on SH-SY5Y cells exposed to our in–house neurotoxicity library !